One of the first things do to once you rent an apartment in Barcelona is to set up the internet. A great majority of the apartments in Barcelona are rented without internet, and everyone needs it nowadays. The additional problem is that almost all internet providers require you to speak spanish since you need to confirm the order by a phone call.
- NIE number
- spanish bank account number
- knowledge of spanish language (Vodafone has english speaking call operators)
If you need help with the language issue, you can come to our office.
The most important internet providers in Barcelona:
- Movistar (fiber optic internet available in all Barcelona city area)
- Ono (fiber optic internet available in certain areas of Barcelona)
- Vodafone (fiber optic internet available in certain areas of Barcelona)
- Orange (fiber optic internet available in certain areas of Barcelona)
- Jazztel (fiber optic internet available in certain areas of Barcelona)
- Pepephone (this one is currently the best offer in Spain, around 24€ / month)
The waiting time depends on the company you decide to work with, the apartment address, etc. According to our experience, the fastest company in terms of installation is Movistar. It can take up to 2 weeks in order to have the internet at home.
The average prices are between 25 and 40 euros / month for the ADSL internet and between 50 and 70 euros / month for the fiber optic internet. The internet providers sometimes apply the so called ‘installation fee’ and usually it’s around 50 euros.
Regarding the internet speed, the fiber optic internet is the fastest and it can be up to 300MB download and upload. When it comes to the ADSL internet, no matter what you read on the web sites of the Barcelona internet providers, the speed will depend on the infrastructure: if you leave in an old building, the maximum speed you can get is 5MB download and 0.5MB upload, and if the infrastructure is better, the average speed can improve up to 20MB download and 5MB upload.